The condition when the back hurts often occurs in the lumbar region. In most cases, a person consults a specialist when the pain becomes constant or is acute. In this case, you can not avoid a long examination to find out the cause of the pain, long treatment and recovery. It is easier to prevent the development of possible diseases and consult a doctor in the beginning, when the lower back has just begun to hurt, pain is not constantly present and does not manifest itself in an acute form.
Causes of low back pain
There can be many reasons for pain and discomfort in the lumbar region. The factors that provoke the condition when the back hurts in the lumbar region, its causes can be divided into 2 main groups: primary and secondary. The primary group includes pathologies of the spine, conditions of the musculoskeletal system in the lumbar region that cause low back pain:
- Defeat with osteochondrosis, osteoarthritis of the lumbar region and sacrum;
- Stretching of muscles in the lower back, which can lead to severe pain;
- Injuries, bruises, trauma to the spine
- Herniated discs;
- Overextension of dorsal muscles in the lumbar region.
The secondary group includes diseases of the internal organs, conditions against which the lumbar begins to damage:
- Pathology of the digestive tract. Gastric ulcer and duodenum, intestinal infections cause pain in the lumbar region. Not only can the affected organ hurt, the pain radiates to the lumbar region, the pain syndrome is painful and pulls in nature;
- Diseases of the urinary tract (kidney disease, stone, cystitis);
- Lesions in the organs of the reproductive system. Pathologies manifest themselves in pain of another kind, localized in the abdomen, radiating to the lumbar region;
- An attack of acute appendicitis, acute pain in the abdomen on the right gives the lower back;
- Pancreatitis, in which case the pain radiates to the lumbar region of the left;
- Liver Diseases. The pain is localized in the right side accompanied by bloating, pain in the lower back to the right;
- Endocrine system pathologies;
- Respiratory diseases. Pleurisy in the lungs often causes a condition when the lower back begins to hurt;
- The appearance of neoplasms.
- Low back pain is often caused by pathologies associated with one or the other sex.
In women, the condition when it hurts, aches, pulls the back in the lower back, causes the following diseases:
- Cystitis, which is more common in women. In addition to pulling pain in the lower back, there is a burning sensation when urinating, pain in the abdomen before and after it;
- Infectious processes in the vagina. Often, unexpressed low back pain causes infectious diseases: candidiasis (thrush), bacterial vaginosis, vaginitis;
- Adnexitis (inflammation of the appendages of the uterus) causes in most cases not only pulling pain not only in the abdomen but also in the back;
- Pain after childbirth, localized in the lumbar region and sacrum
- Abortion. A stressful condition that often occurs is endometritis, contraction of the uterus causing pain in the abdomen and back.
- Menstrual cycle. The lumbar pain that occurs during menstruation is in most cases not a sign of pathology, as the uterus, which is enlarged during this period, presses on the spinal muscles, causing pain and discomfort.
Due to pregnancy, a woman may feel low back pain. The lower back can be damaged at any stage of pregnancy. In the first few weeks, the stomach, lower back pulling, a small amount of bloody discharge may occur. Before birth, the center of gravity shifts, excessive pressure and strain are applied to the lumbar region. In the prenatal period, back pain can be localized in the left or right side of the lumbar region, in most cases this signals a curvature of the spine.
A number of the following diseases and conditions will help answer the question "why does lumbar spine pain in men? "
- Inflammation of the prostate. The pain is localized in the abdomen with return to the lumbar region, often in the groin;
- Inguinal hernia, characterized by acute pain syndrome (up to loss of consciousness), radiates to the lumbar region;
- Inflammation of the testicles and their appendages accompanied by pain in the abdomen and back;
- Injuries and injuries to the lumbar vertebrae. Excessive stress associated with work or sports hobbies can cause sprains, bruises in the lower back;
- Spinal fractures that can be caused not only by serious injuries but apparently not by serious injuries.
Do's and don'ts for low back pain
Only a specialist can identify the cause of low back pain. If it is not possible to visit a doctor immediately when painful sensations occur, it is worth following a series of rules that help prevent a worsening of the condition. In a situation where the back hurts for a long time in the lumbar region, even though the pain is not sharp and cuts, it should under no circumstances be:
Continue vigorous physical activity. It is necessary to limit the intensity and time of movement as much as possible, rest more and relax in a horizontal position. Do not panic and get nervous, this can aggravate the condition - stress aggravates the pain syndrome, causes a strong tension in the muscular system. It is worth stopping sports, physical actions associated with loads on the lumbar region (bending, lifting even small weights from the bend, sitting for a long time, standing, walking for a long time. If you can not lie down, move very smoothly and slowly, movements should not be sharp, jerk.
Try to get rid of low back pain by warming up with heating pads, hot baths. Such heating can aggravate the painful condition and lead to an exacerbation of the pathology. You can warm up, relieve pain with heating pads applied to the affected area. Among folk recipes, pay attention to a mustard compress or a lotion of egg yolks and alcohol. You can apply an anesthetic, warming ointment to the pain site. Compresses and ointments that provide a warming and analgesic effect on the lower back do not aggravate the condition, aggravate a possible disease as they have a local effect.
Self-administering medication. In no case should you diagnose yourself and prescribe medication. Only a specialist can accurately diagnose the disease and prescribe adequate drug treatment. Uncontrolled intake of medication can dramatically aggravate the condition, cause a worsening of the disease and cause complications. If there is a pronounced pain syndrome and it is impossible to visit a doctor or call an ambulance, you should relieve the pain. This helps analgesics with anti-inflammatory effect.
Delay the visit process. The longer the visit to a specialist is delayed, the longer the examination will be to find out the cause of the disease, the treatment period and the recovery. As soon as possible, visit a therapist who conducts a physical examination and sends you to the necessary examinations. After diagnostic measures of a general nature, the therapist refers the patient to a narrower specialist (neurologist, gastroenterologist, endocrinologist, gynecologist, surgeon). In some cases, redirection is already done on the basis of a physical examination, analyzes and the necessary examinations to identify the root cause of low back pain are prescribed by a narrow specialist.
Delay an ambulance call. There are a number of cases where the delay and the delay in calling an ambulance can lead to serious consequences:
- The pain syndrome is acute, the pain can not be tolerated. Similar sensations may be caused by acute inflammation of the appendix, groin hernia in men;
- Moderate pain persists for a long time (for example, if the back hurts in the lumbar region for a whole week);
- Back pain is accompanied by severe pain in the gastrointestinal tract, pelvic organs (it hurts, "sticks", "cuts", pulls the abdomen);
- A back pain is accompanied by absence of stool for several days;
- There are blood clots in the stool and the stool turns black.
Lumbar Pain Examination
When a patient comes to a specialist with complaints of a very painful back in the lumbar region, the doctor examines, interviews the patient and is aware of the following points:
- Age criterion. Elderly patients are most susceptible to lesions of osteochondrosis and osteoarthritis. The older the person, the higher the risk of other types of neoplasms (malignant and benign) in different parts of the body, which may be accompanied by low back pain. Young patients are often prone to damage to the lower back of the musculoskeletal system, possibly the occurrence of chronic joint diseases (spondyloarthropathies), diseases of the spine caused by congestion of the lumbar region. In small patients (under 10 years) it is worth excluding kidney disease, organic lesions of the spine (osteomyelitis, tumors);
- Pain side - left, right;
- Concomitant symptoms (abdominal pain, navel pain, right, left side pain);
- Nature of pain - sharp, cut, aches, pulls;
- Pain rhythms throughout the day. In most cases, diseases of the spine have a certain daily rhythm (decreases, intensifies). In the case of oncological tumors, osteomyelitis, the pain does not subside.
- Tests are performed to determine the strangulated nerve endings in the lumbar region;
- Sensory test, detection of pain, numbness, reduced mobility
- Engine test to determine muscle weakness;
- Diagnostic laboratory and instrument methods;
- Blood tests to determine hemoglobin level, erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), calcium content;
- General urine analysis;
- Radiography. Pictures are taken of various protrusions in the affected area (pelvis, lumbar region examined);
- MRI and computed tomography. Examinations allow you to visualize in detail the spinal canal to identify compression disorders in the nerve processes. CT helps identify pathologies and disorders in bone tissue, MRI reveals pathological conditions in soft tissue;
- Radioisotope studies that make it possible to qualitatively identify the location of tumors, infection foci;
- Electromyographic examinations (EMG) are performed to confirm disorders, lesions of the nerve roots in the affected area.
Additional tests and examinations allow you to make an accurate diagnosis. If you suspect diseases of the reproductive system in women, you should also:
- A vaginal smear is taken for the degree of purity, bacterial cultures from the cervical canal;
- Ultrasound examinations (through the abdomen or transvaginal)
- X-ray of the pelvic organs.
In case of suspected gastrointestinal disease, please indicate:
- X-ray, which allows you to get images of organs, to reveal neoplasms, anomalies, ulcerative lesions;
- X-ray examinations to determine functional disorders;
- Computed tomography;
- Radioisotope studies that make it possible to study the processes of movement of food masses through the digestive tract. Examinations make it possible to identify diseases of the liver, pancreas;
- Ultrasound, allows you to evaluate all the necessary parameters of the gastrointestinal tract, detect tumor formations, stones, cysts, defects in ducts, vessels.
How to treat low back pain
When a specialist finds out why his back hurts in the lumbar region on the basis of diagnostic measures, he prescribes a set of treatment measures. In most cases, treatment combines:
- Reference to medicine.Drugs are prescribed depending on the cause of the disease: musculoskeletal lesions are eliminated by NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), painkillers, drugs that stimulate regeneration of bone and cartilage tissue. The drugs are prescribed in the form of tablets, drops, ointments and gels. In case of neuralgia (when pain occurs due to a pinched nerve) medication is prescribed that has a relaxing effect. In addition, in cases where the pain syndrome occurs due to diseases of the digestive tract, medication may be prescribed to improve the function of the organs, to help their normal function, to restore organic disorders;
- Diet therapy.This type of treatment is optimal for any disease. Proper, balanced nutrition helps the body restore the necessary balance of vitamins and minerals necessary for its normal functioning. A specially developed diet allows the affected organ to recover faster and replenish the necessary elements for its uninterrupted operation;
- Manual therapy and massage.In most cases it is used for lesions of the spine. There are a large number of contraindications, so it is important to undergo a course of manual therapy and massage after consultation with your doctor. Manipulations have a positive effect: increased blood circulation in the affected area; relieve muscle spasms, unexpressed pain syndrome toxins are eliminated; the necessary relaxation comes;
- Physiotherapy.This direction is based on the use of natural forces and combines treatment with electric current, mud, hydrotherapy, magnetic therapy.
- Remedial gymnastics.One of the most effective ingredients for treating any disease. The effect of gymnastic exercises can be compared to massage manipulations, but has a longer-lasting result. Exercise therapy can be performed to relieve pain slowly and smoothly during the recovery period. Particular emphasis is placed on breathing with the diaphragm during exercise. This breathing technique is effective when combined with exercises to correct spinal cord injuries. Diaphragmatic breathing is effective in treating various diseases of internal organs, even without special physical exercises, giving a mild stimulating effect and massage.
- Traditional medicine.Some prescription alternative medicine may be used before you see a doctor. When the lower back is very sore or in pain, you can not use hot baths, heating with electric or rubber pulses. This can lead to an exacerbation of the disease, increased pain. It is optimal to use heating compresses that have a local effect and have no side effects (irritation of the components may occur):
- Mustard application. 2 teaspoons mix with 1 tablespoon almond oil and 100 ml. warm broth of oak bark. A piece of gauze is moistened with this mixture and applied to the sore spot. The application has a slight heating effect, it soothes the affected area;
- Alcohol is compressed with egg yolks. To prepare the compression, take 50 ml of alcohol to which 2 egg yolks are added. Mix the ingredients thoroughly, apply a bandage or piece of gauze and apply to the pain site. The compression lasts approx. 2 hours, after which it is washed off with warm water.
The doctor prescribes herbal medicine, compresses as an adjunctive treatment when the diagnosis is known:
- One of the universal decoctions for oral administration is an infusion of chamomile, calendula. 2 tablespoons flowers are brewed with a glass of boiling water, broth is infused, filtered and taken orally twice a day;
- Pharmaceutical herbal preparations (kidney collection, gynecological collection, gastric collection) are effective as anti-inflammatory, regenerating, antibacterial agents;
- Healing herbal tea, which has a pronounced supportive and restorative effect, has a pleasant taste.